Wednesday, February 24, 2010

"The mind can make a heaven out of hell or a hell out of heaven"

Me and my friend were having a discussion today about fashion, in general. You see, most of my friends don't understand why I am into it. And trying to explain it is hard so these are my thoughts on it:
1. I appreciate art and what goes into the making or creating of anything whether it be a kinetic sculpture or a styrofoam cup drawn on with sharpies. I also appreciate what goes into the making and creating and ideas behind design; because I understand the NEED to create and express something. People will always have their opinions or make something you created into something it's not. Art and creation on display is going to be judged and open to interpretation according to the individual. So lets start with that. Fashion is design, obviously.. thats why they call them designers.
2. The people I like in the industry are people like Tavi, just cool and unique people, someone I would be friends with, an individual, who dresses up for fun and knows that personality and heart and humor are the only things that REALLY matter. But dressing up is fun anf life is supposed to be fun. Marc Jacobs is fun. Then there are designers like Comme des Garcon and Rodarte with clothes that make you think, like you would with an abstract painting, think about both life and sadness and complicated things like that.
3. I can wear black sweatpants and baggy t shirts all the time.. and I often do, and it doesnt mean I don't care about fashion becasue to me, fashion is about people, the individual, fashion is art, fashion is culture, and people, art, and culture are my life.
Nothing is black and white my friends. And everyone is entitled to their opinion, so you may still hate style but, to each his/her own.

p.s. Tavi has a great article on this riiiiigght here: http://tavi-thenewgirlintown.blogspot.com/2010/01/fashion-basically-also-team-conan.html

2 comments:

Julianne said...

this is a really great post abby.

1.i totally agree, i feel like fashion is too often seen as a frivolous industry but i just see people with a passion. Reminds me of a devil wears prada quote "Don't you know that you are working at the place that published some of the greatest artists of the century? Halston, Lagerfeld, de la Renta. And what they did, what they created was greater than art because you live your life in it."

2. Tavi does really represent what this industry is all about: fun & passion. I feel like people lose that.i mean, look at all of the people who are criticizing her for being so young and "not knowing anything about the industry". jealousy if you ask me. And people outside of the fashion world make judgements based off of the snobby attitudes of these people. I feel like her and other bloggers are a breath of fresh air, showing us that fashion is accessible to everyday people.

great post!

Abby said...

thank you so much! and I very much agree with your comments as well.